The Proper Disk Partitioning


Introduction

The proper ways.. I've seen many sites that provides ways on how to format your harddisk drive. And I've seen many people is having trouble with harddisk detection, viruses and unkillable spywares! I'll post later on harddisk troubleshooting guide, but now I'll write about the proper ways on disk partitioning.

The NTFS, FAT32 and FAT partition

"Why do I have do disk partitioning on my harddisk properly?" The reason is compatibility and speed. Have you ever think about why NTFS, FAT32 and FAT exists? Those type of partition has its different structure, file allocation size and several optimization for file systems. For Windows NT, 2000,XP and vista, we'll use the NTFS partition for its compatibility to the OS and system files. For Windows 95, 98 and ME, we'll use the FAT32 partition. FAT is for MS-DOS 6.22 or older, and the Windows 3.x series. For more information on these file systems, checkout Wikipedia.

Criteria and tips for partitioning harddisk

The NTFS supports longer filename and more allocation unit size for because harddisk nowadays spins like wow! a minimum of 7200 rpm, and a large size of cache e.g 8Mb,16Mb, etc. So, the NTFS is built for these purpose. I'm still using FAT32 for my Windows XP because my harddisk has a capacity of 20Gb and only 2Mb cache. Enough saying about those partitions, now i'll tell you the proper ways to partitioning and optimization.

I personally recommend NTFS partition for new harddisks for compatibility and speed. Then, devide it by at least 3 partitions. Why at least 3 partitions? Take a look at picture below.


This is my current harddisk partition configuration.

The C: partition is the 'Primary' partition. The D: and the E: drive is my 'Extended' partition. The Primary partition is used for system files e.g. command.com, msdos.sys etc. and OS like Windows XP, Vista etc. The Extended partition is used for other datas like Mp3s, Documents, Videos or any other types of files.

I've seen many people only using one partition for their harddisk. Imagine like 80Gb harddisk only one partition! Even its properly managed in folders, what if one day the primary partition infected with a viruses or spywares? The best way is to format your harddisk. But the best could be worse! We'll lose all files! Ouch. Can we format partition halfway? No.

On page 2 I'll tell you a simple partitioning guide to prevent loss of data, and also smart ways to improve your disk performance. Lets continue to page 2.

0 comments:

Your Friends Might Find These Information Useful.. Share This Article.

Share this topic with:

Have Anything To Say?


Free chat widget @ ShoutMix